If you are looking for help with your situation you can contact Forcesline for confidential and independent support on 0800 7314880.

General health

You will need to register with local health providers such as a doctor, dentist and optician.

Register as soon as possible so that there’s no break in any care and medication you’re getting from your military doctor.

Find a service near you

Find a local doctor:

Find a local dentist:

Find a local pharmacy:

Find a local optician:

When you find a doctor and dentist near where you live, or will be living, contact them directly and ask for a new patient form. Make sure you let your new doctor know that you are a veteran.

Your pharmacist can help with minor illnesses and injuries, and advise you on the best over-the-counter medicines.

The NHS recommends that you have an eye test every two years. Contact your local optician and book an eye test with them directly.

Out of hours

If you have a health problem at night or over a weekend, or if you aren’t yet registered with a doctor, there are 24 hour services you can use.

NHS 111

You can phone the NHS 111 service to get urgent medical advice at any time. An adviser will assess your situation and advise you  what to do next.
Phone: 111

NHS walk-in centre

You can go to a walk-in centre for issues like sprains, broken bones minor burns, infections and animal or insect bites. They deal with issues that probably won’t need hospital admission and you should get seen quicker than going to A&E.
Find a walk-in centre near you:


If the situation is life-threatening or may need a hospital admission go at once to A&E or call 999 for an ambulance, this includes, loss of consciousness, bleeding that can’t be stopped and persistent severe chest pain.
Visit: to find your nearest A&E department.

New Healthy Lifestyle Service Available in Devon

For support to quit smoking, reduce drinking, eat more healthily, lose weight or be more active visit

One You

Small changes to areas like sleeping, drinking, eating and moving can help you to have a healthier lifestyle. Take the One You quiz to find out how healthy you are and where you can improve at

Chime Hearing

Chime Hearing, the Devon N.H.S. partner for hearing health. Chime are a social enterprise, who specialise solely in hearing. We are trying to raise awareness of hearing loss amongst Veterans and also the new government hearing fund available to veterans (Veterans Hearing Fund). More information can be found here at


Mental health

If you are concerned about any aspect of your mental health speak to a GP. This could be because you are:

  • feeling anxious
  • having trouble sleeping
  • feeling down or depressed
  • struggling with anger or aggression
  • starting to rely on alcohol or drugs.

Find a doctor near you:

Your GP can help with advice, medication and can referral you to specialist services that can help you.

Devon Partnership Trust

DPT has a dedicated veteran’s service and also provides mental health services to support people with depression, anxiety, eating disorders and addiction. You can access these services directly or be referred by your GP.


If you want to talk to someone in confidence about your mental health and wellbeing you can phone Samaritans. They can help if you feel suicidal, if you feel like you’re in a crisis situation or if you just need to talk to someone.
Phone: 08457 90 90 90 – 24 hour helpline

Veterans and Reserves Mental Health Programme

The Ministry of Defence runs the Veterans and Reserves Mental Health Programme to support anyone who has served in the armed forces since 1982 and has mental health problems as a result. The programme can give you a full assessment, a diagnosis and advice about getting the right help and support.
Phone: 0800 032 6258

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is the veteran’s mental health charity. They support anyone who has served and may be struggling mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, nightmares and flashbacks. Treatment is free of charge.
Phone: 0800 138 1619 – 24 hour helpline

Hidden Wounds

A new mental health and wellbeing service from Help for Heroes. This service can help you find ways to deal with frustration and start enjoying your everyday life again.
Phone: 0808 2020 144

The Warrior Programme 

The Warrior Programme is a 12 month structured support programme with an initial three/five day residential motivation and training programme for veterans and veterans families. The course is aimed at those who are feeling stuck, frustrated, guilty, angry and unsure; and are struggling with the transition to civilian life and beyond. The initial three/five day course provides free accommodation, food and training. The course itself teaches coping techniques and helps build resilience and self-confidence.  For further information please contact the South West Area Co-Ordinator, Sean Gane direct on 07972 329457.
Phone: 0808 801 0898

Hush Farms 

Hush Farms provides time out in a rural environment for people who are going through a period of change or who want to learn new skills and gain confidence. Hush Farms is based in East Devon and works with veterans and their families.
Phone: 01404 549515

Big White Wall

An anonymous online community where you can share your thoughts and worries, and access tools to help you work through difficult thoughts and anxieties. Veterans can use the site free of charge.

The South West Veterans Service

This specialist NHS service offers support for military veterans across the region who are suffering from psychological problems such as low mood, anxiety or problems relating to past experiences. You can contact the service yourself or you can be referred by your GP, a healthcare worker or a military charity.
Phone: 0300 5550112

Injury and mobility

Disabled Facilities Grant

You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help towards the cost of any adaptations. You can find out about this through your district council. You will also be exempt from VAT on work done for adaptations if you are disabled.

If your claim for a Disabled Facilities Grant is unsuccessful you may be able to get help from the Royal British Legion.

Recovery centre – Help for Heroes

Help for Heroes provides practical help and advice for wounded, injured and sick service personnel and veterans.

Care phones – Royal British Legion

If you live alone and are worried about falling, or if you have recently left hospital and are worried about moving around with an injury or disability, RBL can install a care phone to alert someone if you need help free of charge.

Adaptations to your home

There are companies who can do small and large home adaptations to make your home safe and comfortable for you.

Independent Living Centre

Before you have any adaptations or buy any equipment speak to the Independent Living Centre. Their trained occupational therapists look at the best solutions to meet your needs, show you available equipment and give you the chance to try it out, and tell you about local suppliers. They always look for the most practical and cost-effective solution, and they don’t sell products so their advice is always independent.

Band of Brothers – Help for Heroes

Band of Brothers provides support to anyone who has had an injury or illness related to their service. Members can receive welfare support and may be eligible for financial support, as well as offers of hospitality, employment, holidays and much more.

Band of Brothers enables you to participate in a wide range of new and exciting activities in a fun and supportive environment.

Help with mobility – SSAFA

SSAFA volunteers can help you to apply for financial help to fund mobility equipment such as mobility scooters, wheelchairs or recliner chairs.


Physiotherapists use movement and exercise to help when you’ve been affected by injury, illness or disability. The treatment takes into account your current level of health and your specific requirements.

Mobility vehicles – The Royal British Legion

Available to any Legion beneficiary, RBL may be able to provide a mobility vehicle, scooter or buddy to those with a genuine need.


Alcohol and drugs

If you think that you have a problem with alcohol or drugs there is help available.

Local drug and alcohol services

Find help in Devon:

Find help in Plymouth:

Find help in Torbay:

You may also be able to get free counselling services. Speak to your GP about talking therapies which may be available to help you.
Find a local doctor:

if you would like to organise your own counselling support, The Counselling Directory lists professionals who provide talking therapy services in Devon.

NHS information

Information and advice about excessive drinking, reducing your alcohol intake and finding help and support.

Information and advice about drug taking, getting help and support and understanding the effects of drugs.

Information on all types of addiction, their effects and ways to get help.

Alcoholics Anonymous

A fellowship of adults who share their experience and support to help each other combat alcoholism. Contact them to find local groups in Devon.
Phone: 0800 9177 650 – national helpline

Alcohol Concern

Alcohol Concern has information about the effects of drinking and links to services to support people who want to reduce their drinking.


Addaction is a drug and alcohol treatment charity. Go to their website to find out what they do and what are services are available in Devon.


Drinkaware has useful advice about managing your drinking, including a self-assessment tool and an app that can track your alcohol intake.


Change4Life provides clear health advice for everyone. Use their drinks checker to see if you’re drinking too much and then follow their tips to cut down.

Narcotics Anonymous

NA is a fellowship of recovering addicts who support each other to stay clean.


EDP can work with you to support you to address your drug and alcohol use, working with your family and encouraging you to reintegrate into your local community. EDP works with Addaction to provide the RISE recovery service in Devon.


The Drugscope website has useful information about drug addiction, different types of drugs and their effects on the body.


Stop smoking

There are lots of reasons to quit smoking – for you and for others. Free support and nicotine replacement therapy is available on prescription with the Devon NHS Stop Smoking Services.

There are now many ways to get help quitting so you can choose a method that suits your lifestyle. You are four times more likely to be successful if you use face-to-face support from NHS Stop Smoking Services.

Support to stop smoking is available from a range of trained advisors across Devon.

Stop smoking clinics

Find a stop smoking clinic in Devon:

Find a stop smoking clinic in Plymouth:

Find a stop smoking clinic in Torbay:


Sexual health

Sexual health incorporates advice and services for:

  • relationships
  • contraception
  • abortion
  • sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.

Local contraception and sexual health clinics

Exeter, East, North and Mid Devon services are provided by Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust

South Devon services are provided by South Devon Healthcare NHS Trust

West Devon services provided by Plymouth Community Healthcare Trust and Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Your GP

Many GP practices offer a full range of contraception, including the contraceptive coil and contraceptive implant, as well as chlamydia screening for young people.
Find your local doctor:

Chlamydia screening

If you’re under 24 years old you can get free Chlamydia screening. Find out how to get a free test through the post or where in Devon you can collect one.

Support for people affected by HIV

The Eddystone Trust is an independent organisation providing information and support for anyone affected by HIV across the South West. Some services also relate to wider sexual health.

NHS information

NHS Choices has useful and detailed information on:

Sexual health:




Memory clinics

If you are worried about your own or someone else’s memory contact your, or their GP. The GP may then refer you to a Memory Clinic. These clinics provide specialist assessment for diagnosing, treating and supporting people with dementia. You can find more information about this from Devon Partnership NHS Trust.

Devon Dementia Support Service

If you or a loved one has had a diagnosis of dementia you can get practical advice and support from the Devon Dementia Support Service.

Local dementia services

Across Devon there are groups and services, such as memory cafes and support groups, to help or your loved one manage with dementia.

Find dementia services in Devon:

Find dementia services in Plymouth:

Find dementia services in Torbay:

Useful information

Find more useful information about living with dementia, or caring for or supporting somebody with dementia.

Devon Dementia Roadmap:

NHS Dementia Choices:



Domestic abuse

If you are in immediate danger call 999 now.

There are a range of services across Devon to support people who are affected by domestic violence and abuse. Apart from when reporting to Devon and Cornwall Police, you do not have to give your name or contact details to any agency.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

Who can help?

If you don’t tell anyone about the abuse then chances are it will continue and get worse over time. By telling someone, a friend, family member or one of the organisations listed in this directory, you will be able to start protecting yourself and your children.

A concerned family or friend?

It can be difficult to know what to do if you suspect a friend or neighbour is a victim of domestic abuse. Advice on how to help and support a friend is available from Women’s aid and MankKind Intiative.

Women’s aid:

ManKind Initiative:

Devon Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Alliance Website

The DSVA Alliance website provides a range of advice and information for people who have experienced domestic or sexual violence and abuse, either as a victim or perpetrator. The website includes links to services and practical advice and information.

Devon Domestic Abuse Support Service

DDASS offers support for men and women across Devon including outreach, accommodation support and perpetrator help.
Phone: 0345 155 1074 for self referral or by agency referral

Stop Abuse for Everyone

SAFE provide specialised services to help victims recover from domestic violence. Services are available in Exeter, East and Mid Devon.
Phone: 030 30 30 0112 for enquiries for SAFE services

North Devon Against Domestic Abuse

NDADA domestic violence support in North Devon and Torridge.
Phone: 01271 321946 for confidential support and information

Plymouth and Torbay domestic abuse services

Services in Plymouth:

Services in Torbay:

National Women’s Aid

Phone: 0808 2000 247 for women experiencing domestic violence

Men’s Advice Line

Phone: 0808 801 0327 for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse


Phone: 08457 909090 for emotional support in a crisis


Phone: 0808 800 4444 National Housing Advice Line


Phone: 0800 1111 for children and young people in distress


Phone: 0808 800 5000 for anyone concerned about a child


Sexual violence

If you are in immediate danger call 999 now

For further information visit:

Sexual violence is any unwanted sexual act or activity. Sexual violence can be perpetrated by a complete stranger, or by someone known and even trusted, such as a friend, colleague, family member, partner or ex-partner. Sexual violence can happen to anyone. If you have been raped or sexually assaulted recently, help is available.

Rape Crisis Helpline

Providing specialist, independent and confidential services, Rape Crisis promotes the rights of women who have experienced sexual abuse.
Phone: 0808 802 9999
Lines are open 7 days a week between 12 noon–2.30pm and 7pm–9.30pm

Devon Rape Crisis Service

The service is for women aged 18 or over who experienced any of the above in the past, no matter how long ago it happened and women aged 18 or over who are currently experiencing sexual abuse or harassment. They also offer support to partners, family and friends of people who have been raped or sexually abused.
Phone: 01392 204174
Lines are open Monday 3pm-6pm, Wednesday 10am-1pm and Friday 6pm-9pm

Devon Rape and Sexual Abuse Helpline

The Line offers a listening service for men and women aged over 16 years, living in Devon, who have been raped or sexually abused, either recently or in the past. They also offer support for partners, families and friends and provide information about other agencies. The phone number for SAL does not show up on any landline phone records, although may appear on mobile phones.
Phone: 0808 800 0188
Lines are open Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday betweeen 7pm -10pm

Victim Support

The service offers support for both male and female victims of rape and sexual assault.
Phone: 0845 30 30 900

If you are looking for help with your situation you can contact Forcesline for confidential and independent support on 0800 731 4880. Forcesline is a service provided by SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity.